- The symptoms of dry eyes and dry eye syndrome include:
- Another common symptom is something called a foreign body sensation (…the feeling that grit or some other object or material is “in” your eye).
- Watery eyes also can be a symptom of dry eye syndrome, because dryness on the eye’s surface sometimes will over-stimulate production of the watery component of tears as a protective mechanism, but this “reflex tearing” does not stay on the eye long enough to correct the underlying dry eye condition.
- In addition to these symptoms, dry eyes can cause inflammation and damage to the surface of the eye that sometimes became permanent.
- Dry eye syndrome also can affect the outcomes of LASIK (Laser-assisted in Situ Keratomileusis) and Cataract Surgery.